
Hey there contributors and others~ I am having trouble shooting with the sun out. I am typically on shoots alone, so don't have assistants to hold reflectors and such, besides, kids move to fast anyway. So is there something else I should be doing? A spot meter setting, ISO?, White balance? different subject placement? Thanks for the help! This photo is cute enough, but the harsh sun and dark face have me left stumped.

Here is my updated version. I tried to fix the blown out spots and lighten the dark ones along with a little boost. Still not thrilled with it though.

sorry, but I don't have the camera info on this one. I am guessing, but it was shot at f1.8, ISO 200-400, WB set at sunny. Edited in PS4
Want to see others? head over to I ♥ faces
8 comments:
great shot! very timeless angle as well
do you shoot on a f/1.8 lens? if so - i would say it may be ideal to back the aperture down a couple stops. you still get the great bokeh in the background, but you will also get much better clarity and color. every lens performs optimally when it's about 2 stops above it's max aperture.
it's never really ideal to shoot in sunlight because you get that blown out look, but i think it's nice for this photo.
Thanks Mr. Tharpey, this was one of my first times out with this new lens and I know I see what you mean about stepping it up a bit!
What a handsome little guy! Isn't it great to have a full0time model to practice on?
The harsh sun/dark face thing is why I typically try to shoot in the shade. If I want backlighting, I shoot either very early morning or late evening when the sun is almost on the horizon and not above you creating icky shaddows. I agree with the above comment. I have a 1.4 lens and unless I'm really close, and want just her eyes in focus, I keep it around 2. Still get the awesome bokeh but much better clarity overall. Good work! Keep it up!
Um I have no idea what to tell you because I dont know anything about photography really . . . but I just wanted you to know that I think your picture looks beautiful! :-)
This is a cute pose, interesting composition and the only real flaw is the harsh sun. Unfortunately, my PS knowledge does not have a complete solution for the existing blown areas on his face. I did use Totally Rad Actions Yin/Yang (my new favorite action!) to darken the highlight and lighten the shadows, in an effort to bring the two tones closer in balance. Ultimately, without a TON of editing...use of the clone tool or healing brush to replace the blown areas of skin...you will have to accept the uneven lighting on his face.
In the future, use shade if you are shooting when the sun is up...I see trees in your background, so you could have tried to set up under their boughs. Like Katelyn said, the best favor you can do for yourself is to shoot when the sun is lower in the sky, then you are not confronted with this dilemma.
Good luck!
This is a perfect case of finding the light. Good light. And you've seen here how hard it is to edit a shot with too much contrast between dark and light especially when it's all on his little face.
I actually like your edit. You've done a pretty good job of evening things out. But it's still a time intensive prospect.
I like Julie's idea about using those trees. Just make sure it's deep even shade. I always think "Dappled light is my enemy!" LOL! Even my daughter says it with me :). Dappled light is just as hard to edit as this type.
I hope that helps!
Amanda J.
Are you speaking English ; )
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog with your advice on my picture. I really appreciate it.
I would love to help you out with yours, but I truly have no suggestions. I'm learning my photoshop and just play around with things until I mostly like what it looks like!
Post a Comment