Friday, April 18, 2008

Patrick updates

Wow, what a week it has been. I can't belive I actually have a moment to post updates. I wish I could say this first week is a breeze, but I would be kidding myself. Being home from the hospital was great, but coming home with no instructions attached to this little pumpkin proved a bit difficult.

Patrick has been in to see the dr. everyday so far. He continued to loose weight and his jaundice continued to get worse. He was having a very difficult time feeding. He just kept getting his tongue in the wrong spot so he wasn't able to get anything out. Because of this, I was becoming engorged and on the verge of mastitice. He was hungry and I was very sore but we just had trouble connecting. This made for a very long couple of nights with Patrick crying for up to 2 hours at a time. Mom was also doing her share of dropping the tears.

On Wednesday we got some relief with a good pump but we were feeding from a dropper to avoid using a bottle. This just wasn't getting him enough of what he needed, but I was finally getting some relief. Thursday we went with a bottle and really worked to push the milk day and night. I was up feeding and pumping every 2 hours.

Patrick was getting happier throughout the night the more he got in him, and mom was also feeling much better (but certainly sleepy). Today we went back to the dr. and he gained almost all the weight back that he lost while home and his jaundice is finally improving. Because he was calm, he also latched on like a tropper and is now getting some milk straight from the breast.

I can't tell you how good it feels to finally have a happy baby. He is quietly sleeping in a sling in my arms. I did get some pictures today and hope to upload soon. Thanks for everyone's support. It has been a really hard week, but we see a bright shiny light at the end of the tunnel.

Love to all from Patrick, Mommy and Daddy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catharine and Ryan,

This is extremely belated but anyway, congratulations on Patrick! Sounds like you've had quite the week. I pray that it gets better. Take care and talk to you soon!

Jodi

The Heils said...

Whoever said that breastfeeding is "natural" was wrong!! It takes work! Don't worry, we had to give Kira a bottle (of formula) for a few feedings because my milk wouldn't come in. I felt like a failure but once my milk came in she did great with the breast and everything was just fine! Glad to know things are finally getting better for you two!