Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Confessions

ok, so it is confession time. I feel overwhelmed by the questions some days. Most folks are just curious, don't know what else to ask and/or well meaning, but I feel defensive some days. It is hard to be confident in your decisions to others, when some days you are not confident yourself.

No, Patrick is not sleeping through the night
Yes, he does sleep in our bed part to most of the night
Yes, this is a decision that Ryan and I are BOTH ok with for now
No, we don't plan to have him sleep with us until he is 10
Yes, I am tired most of the time
Yes, my plan is to breastfeed a year or so depending on what Patrick decides
No, we aren't worried about doing solids yet, although he has had a taste of cereal this past week.
No, he doesn't need extra vitamins or food really, he gets all he needs from me
No, we don't let him Cry it Out (if you have heard him go from sound asleep to wailing as quickly as we have, you would understand)
Yes, Ryan is an awesome dad and a great support
No, I don't know what I am doing
Yes, I am learning as I go
No, I didn't read "it" in a book, I just do what feels right (and then constantly question myself!)

there it is, out in the open. whew.

Now, ask if you like and I will work on becoming more and more confident in my answers. Or perhaps just learn better smart a$$ remarks!

Update: Yes, I do have the right to change my mind on any of the above at any time! ;)

3 comments:

Anne said...

You shouldn't feel like you have to answer to anyone! 'Confession' implies that you have done something wrong, and you have done nothing wrong. You have to give yourself more credit, my dear! YOU are the mama and you know exactly what your baby needs. That's what moms do. We might make mistakes (Lord knows I do!), but we should not have to apologize for them! We love our kids and are doing the best we can. And who cares what other people think about our parenting decisions--it's none of their damned business anyway! I have started to answer people with things like, "Yeah he is eating solids, his favorite is McDonalds cheeseburgers." or "I read somewhere that babies who use pacifiers are smarter than those who don't. It's a fact." ;) Have fun with it!!! You are doing a good job!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, just need a boost once and a while. Good to know there are other mom/friends that can understand!

Anonymous said...

I understand - and feel the same way many times (not so confident). But, know you're doing a great job - you are!
And, I can't believe how people can be about asking some things - I'm surprised at times too. I had to just laugh when our neighbor asked if Jack was sleeping thru the night, when he was a week old! Are you kidding me?!? I wish! ;)