Monday, February 23, 2015

Delivery options




We received some devastating news a couple of weeks ago. At my regular monthly appointment in Plainview, we learned from my midwife Sharon that St. Elizabeth's hospital in Wabasha will no longer offer OB service starting June 1st. This basically means there won't be an option for us there anymore and not an option to deliver with Sharon. :(

I was so sad and mad and then sad again. I had a good delivery at Mayo with Patrick, but a really yucky post delivery and post-partum care. I felt like I had to be on guard the entire delivery to achieve what I wanted from the birth. They listened to my desires, but it wasn't without a fight every step of the way. Then I found myself recovering while oodles of people came in and out of my room to check on me, check on baby etc without a moments rest. I was tired, sore, and just over it. I wanted something different.

 So with Annika we were lucky to find Sharon at St. Elizabeth's. We were the only people on the delivery floor that day. We were able to rest when we wanted, move when we wanted and just chill out and let the birth happen. I felt like I could totally trust those who were caring for me. I didn't have to be on guard, I could just deliver.

 So, what now? I'm not sure. I attended a meeting last week for the Southeastern Minnesota Birth Network. A network of moms, midwives and doulas. I got to meet the two home birth midwives serving this area. Each with very different personalities. I could tell right away that one was a better fit for me than the other was. The interesting tidbit is that this same midwife helped deliver my nephew at the local hospital 16 years ago! I have never been opposed to home birth, but I just wasn't sure it was the right option for us.

St. Elizabeth's felt like a great compromise for us, but unfortunately that is no longer an option. I really am not excited about returning to Mayo either. They now have 11 midwives on staff and really no personalized care. They have tubs for laboring now, but birth is not allowed in them :( So.. next week we will be meeting with this midwife Leann. It's an opportunity for Ryan to understand home birth more and for us to decide together if this is the option we want to pursue. It isn't the easiest option (it is certainly the most expensive) but at this point it may be our best option. Delivery is just one day in our lives. One day that hold a lot. I can't control what will happen, but we can make some choices that will allow us to have the best chance at the relaxing and trusting atmosphere we so desire.

 I will also be meeting with a midwife at Mayo whom I do trust. That way I will be established in that practice and they will know I may be showing up in labor (if it is an emergency transfer or I decide that I want to). To be continued I suppose.

 We have also decided to announce the gender of our baby. We will be having a little party on March 8th with close friends and family. This will be a new experience for us but a fun one!


No comments: